Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Summer Music Programs?
Founded in 1993, Summer Music Programs is a summer music camp for kids 11 – 17 who want to play in groups with other kids. We offer a weekly Day Program 9-3 Mon-Fri.
- Where are you located?
We are located on the beautiful and historic Harcum College Campus in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania just minutes outside of Philadelphia.
- What is the daily schedule?
Monday thru Wednesday is spent on rehearsal. Thursday is for recording and Friday for performing in concert.
- Are there other activities besides music?
- How much musical experience do I need to participate?
At least a little. We recommend a minimum of 6 months to a year. For example, drummers should be at least able to maintain a steady beat and guitar players should be able to execute basic chord progressions in time. Please contact us with any questions.
- Can I enroll by myself or do I need to already be in a band?
You may enroll individually or with your band. If you enroll individually we will place you in a group based upon information you provide through our questionnaire. If you enroll as a band you must have a minimum of three members and you will be eligible for a band discount.
- How do you organize individuals into groups?
Will I be with other kids who are a lot better than me?
Not to worry. We go to great lengths to organize individuals who are compatible in age, experience and musical taste. Please contact us if you have any concerns.
- Is there a minimum number of weeks I must commit to?
No. You may enroll for one week or as many as you like. Please note, we do offer discounts for multi-week enrollments as well as other discounts. Click here for more info.
- Do musicians need to bring their own equipment?
Yes, however we do provide a PA system in each rehearsal room for vocals. Click here for a suggested check list. Also, we can arrange to rent virtually any instrument or piece of equipment you might need. Just let us know in advance.
- What is your average staff to student ratio?
1 to 4! This is the best ratio of any summer camp that we know of. Directors of other camps have actually told us we have too many people on staff! Click here for more info.
- What are your staff qualifications?
Each member of our staff is either a full time professional musician or a college student majoring in music.
Many of them are alumni of our program and former personal students that we have known for years.
Others are carefully handpicked from personal recommendations. Click here for more info.
- What about background checks?
Each member of our staff is required to have on file with us updated state police and child abuse records.
- What separates Summer Music Programs from other music camps?
Consider the following:
- Safety is our primary concern. There is CONSTANT supervision. Harcum College has 24/7 security personnel, buildings are swipe card protected.
- We operate rehearsals Monday thru Wednesdays for a minimum of five hours each day. The kids actually PLAY. They do not spend time in “class” or at “lectures.”
- The kids pick the songs they WANT to play. The only restrictions to music selections are for decency inlyrics (FCC regulations) and songs that preach hatred, suicide, drug use etc.
- Each band has their own exclusive instructor (sometimes two instructors) to facilitate rehearsals (and act as referee.) Our instructors are compassionate and encouraging. They DO NOT act like drill sergeants, as some programs have become famous for.
We not only want the kids to have fun but feel proud of their accomplishments. Nor do we leave them alone to work out rehearsals for themselves behind closed doors and “check in” on them occasionally as some other programs do.
- Our Day Program records at REAL professional recording studios with REAL professional recording engineers, not some room down the hall set up with a laptop and a couple mics.